#Opensource Growing Systems
Automation and remote monitoring of an outdoor growing system using open source internet connected system and sensors.
The objectives of this workshop is to explore the use of digital technologies on on non-traditional farming methods (hydroponics and aquaponics) by using open source microcontrollers and ensor technology to build a small scale working and ‘connected’ device.
- Overview of modern agricultural systems (aquponics, vertical, hydroponic).
- Understanding the role of CEA within a food production system.
- Understanding of how to build an internet connected devices to measure and control a growing environment (sensors, controllers, open source technologies, basic electronics)
- Understanding of how to create a dashboard for reporting and tracking purposes (using openly accessible platforms)
- Hands on experience with C library programming for the Arduino set of microcontrollers
Consideration for future expansion and enhancements of the workshop systems
Useful background material for review prior to workshop
PDF Downloads and news articles
- PDF Download – FAO Small-scale aquaponic food production
- PDF Download – FAO The future of food and agriculture
- Story – The new age of agriciulture – Vertical farming
- Independent – Why vertical farming isn’t a miracle solution to food security
Video content – growing systems
- The Fundamentals Of Indoor Farming
- Arduino Automatic Garden Bed Watering System
- AQUAPONICS: THE 5 REQUIRED COMPONENTS OF A BASIC AQUAPONICS SYSTEM
- A Beginners Guide: Hydroponic Design
Video content – technology and agriculture
- Simple Introduction to the Arduino
- Internet of Farming: Arduino-based, backyard aquaponics
- Internet of food: Arduino-based, urban aquaponics in Oakland
- This computer will grow your food in the future
Bill of materials
This is the list of materials you will be using to take part in the workshop
You will be required to bring your own PC/Laptop and power supply. A mouse is recommended together with a mousemat.
Code base and Wiki pages
- Code examples for the sensors – Code
- Analog pH Meter – Wiki
- DFRobot Forum – Forum
- Gravity EC Meter – Wiki